Friday, January 10, 2014

Silhouettes


In this photo, I aimed to create a different shape using shadow. Because of the absent of light on the figures, it created the illusion that the person has two sets of arms. 

This photo also plays with concept that shadow can trick the eye into misidentifying the subject. I thought this photo would be more interesting than simply a shadow of a persons because it forces the viewer to try and figure it out. 


When I took this picture, I tried to use the sun to create a silhouette with the hands. The line of light from the sun was not something I anticipated but I really like what it does to the silhouette of the smaller hand. 


Since in my other photos I used the sun as a background to capture my silhouette, in this one I chose to make it the center of the photograph. 


I didn't expect this photo to turn out dark enough, but the fact that the sun was behind the building created a great contrast to the darkness of the 
building and trees. 

 I especially like this photo because it captures the subjects profile with a clean, sharp line but the mesh of the gate adds a softness to the overall composition. Some of the silhouettes I took (in the form of shadows) looked hazy and unfocused, but I was happy with how this one turned out extremely sharp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment